Teeth whitening is one of the most common cosmetic services we are asked to provide by our Armadale and Melbourne patients. It is relatively inexpensive, and pays an immediate cosmetic dividend. There are several methods for whitening the teeth. The 818 Dental clinicians are trained in the use of all of them.
Why do teeth become discoloured?
As we age, our teeth naturally become slightly less white due to changes in the mineral structure of the tooth. Then there are the staining agents that we inflict on our teeth in an ordinary diet – coffee, red wine, cola and of course tobacco.
What are the options?
We recommend two alternative methods:
- Our take-home teeth whitening kit. This comes complete with custom trays that allow you to achieve great results in the comfort of your own home at a time that is convenient for you. We take impressions of your upper and lower teeth and use these to fabricate soft plastic trays to fit perfectly over your teeth. Custom trays allow an even distribution of whitening gel over your teeth.Your custom trays can be prepared within 24 hours and your take home kit will generally be ready the day after we take your impressions.
The whitening process generally takes between 3-14 applications depending on several factors such as:
- The colour of your original teeth
- The expectations of the patient
- Adherence to the aftercare instructions and
- The concentration of gel used (we offer lower concentrations to those people who experience tooth sensitivity)
For patients who prefer to manage their own bleaching our take-home kits offer a fantastic way to control the shade of their teeth, whilst at the same time monitoring sensitivity during the process.
- Laser teeth whitening – this takes place at our Armadale surgery, and uses a laser light to activate the whitening gel. This treatment is a little more expensive than the home kit, but is ideal for patients who want a fast, predictable result, closely controlled by their 818 Dentist.
For further information on the teeth whitening results we achieve for our Melbourne patients, contact 818 Dental.